Sports Betting

Trending

random

Arms Deal Saga: Top 10 Prominent People Who Have Been Implicated And Their Responses

The present administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari has said it is committed to fighting corruption and cleaning the rot left by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

In doing so, some prominent Nigerians have been accused of being involved in shady deals.

The federal government is currently investigating the $2billion arms purchase deal and many prominent persons have been arrested.

In its interim report, a presidential investigations committee into arms procurement under the Goodluck Jonathan administration had said it found extra-budgetary spending by the Jonathan administration to the tune of N643.8 billion and an additional $2.2 billion in the foreign currency component.

President Muhammadu Buhari commissioned a panel to investigate how $2bn meant for the procurement of arms deal disappeared from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

In the last few weeks, operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Department of State Services (DSS), have arrested some public figures who served during former president, Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, over the alleged $2billion arms procurement deal.

READ ALSO:

Below is a compilation of some of the people who have been alleged to be involved in the shady arms deal.

1. Sambo Dasuki

sambo dasuki vi

The arms deal saga started with the siege laid on the house of the former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki by the Directorate of State Security. Dasuki, a key adviser to the former president, Jonathan was accused of awarding “phantom contracts” to buy 12 helicopters, four fighter jets, and bombs and ammunition worth $2bn for the military to fight Boko Haram insurgency. But the weapons and equipment were never were supplied.

and taken to the DSS office in Abuja. The embattled former National Security Adviser is standing trial on a five-count charge of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms.

2. AIT Chairman Raymond Dokpesi

raymond dokpesi i

Dokpesi has been charged to court by the federal government over alleged from funds meant for the purchase of arms. He had earlier explained the EFCC officials that the money he received from the NSA was used to prosecute Jonathan’s campaign and publicity for the PDP.

in Abuja on Wednesday, December 9.

3. Former minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda

Former minister of finance is also among those being mentioned in the arms deal scandal.

Former minister of finance is also among those being mentioned in the arms deal scandal.

, together with other top officials from the office of the NSA over the controversial arms procurement scandal surrounding Dasuki.

Yuguda allegedly received N1.5billion from the former NSA’s office through an unnamed company, for unstated purpose, N1.275billion from Stallion Group during the campaign for the last general election and another N775million was also allegedly paid to him from the office of the Accountant General of the Federation for unstated purpose.

4. Former Sokoto State Governor Attahiru Bafarawa

Bafarawa-2

The ex-governor was arrested in connection with the $2.1b arms purchase scam. He is alleged to have benefited about N100 million from Dasuki. , describing the report as orchestrated media campaign aimed at tarnishing his image.

However, if they have any evidence against them or release them.

5. Bode George:

A national leader of the PDP, Chief Bode George

A national leader of the PDP, Chief Bode George

A report had surfaced on December 3, that he received N100 million from Dasuki, which was part of the $2.9 billion arms deal. In a swift response, . According to him, he never met Dasuki throughout his tenure, let alone collecting money from him.

6. David Mark

Senator David Mark

Senator David Mark

Reports surfaced recently claiming that the former Senate president, Mark got the sum of 10.7 billion naira from the arms deal.

In reaction, his campaign team has frowned at the reports, insisting that Mark was never involved in the shady deal.

7. Peter Odili

Former Rivers state governor, Peter Odili

Former Rivers state governor, Peter Odili

The former Rivers state governor, from the embattled former NSA. He has not said anything about his involvement in the deal.

8. Bukola Saraki

Senator-Bukola-Saraki-copy

Online medium, Sahara Reporters had published a news article, linking the Senate president with fraudulent arms deal.

In reaction, . A statement by his special adviser, media and publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, stated that the Senate president has never had anything to do with purchase of security equipment because in his entire political career he never served in any committee or body which has any link with defence or national security.

9. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

ngozi okonjo-iweala i

The former coordinating minister of the economy and minister of finance under Goodluck Jonathan administration was . She allegedly approved the transfer of at least N61.4b ($300 million and £5.5 million) from funds recovered from the late Abacha, to the office of the NSA, few weeks to the 2015 presidential election.

In reaction, she said she had no hand in the arms purchase deals facilitated by Dasuki.

There are strong indications that she may soon be summoned by the EFCC for questioning over allegations that she is in the know of how the $2bn meant for arms procurement was spent.

10. Former president, Goodluck Jonathan

Jonathan

Some have said the former president should also be probed over the arms deal scam, saying he was in the best position to tell Nigerians the role he played as the consenting authority in the arms scam.

However, J to the tune of $2 billion.

 

The post Arms Deal Saga: Top 10 Prominent People Who Have Been Implicated And Their Responses appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.


Arms Deal Saga: Top 10 Prominent People Who Have Been Implicated And Their Responses Reviewed by Olusola Bodunde on 07:15 Rating: 5

No comments:

Thanks for reading, please share this post and leave a comment. Your comment is important to us

All Rights Reserved by Naija News Live © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.