Sports Betting

Trending

random

Music veteran talks women, celebrity marriages, politics and other ventures

– NAIJ.com speaks exclusively to Nigerian hip hop veteran Rugged Man in this engaging interview

– The rapper bares it all as he talks career, women, politics and more

– Contrary to what many think, the music star is not all about controversies and he explains more on his personality

– The rapper also gives his two cents on the current administration under President Muhammadu Buhari

As the Nigerian music industry continues to gain traction globally, we celebrate our artistes and bask in the greatness open to the industry.

The opportunities have been infinite and the recognitions beyond words.

Wizkid is on the front burner as we speak, topping charts around the world and sitting comfortably on number two position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart by virtue of his collaboration with Drake on One Dance.

Davido is also taking the world by storm with international collaborations and more renown especially on the heels of his Sony Music deal of January 2016 and all.

Olamide, Patoranking, Wizkid, Runtown, Ycee, Wande Coal, Lil Kesh, Burna Boy and a host of others are also doing major stuff in different respects and the feedbacks are literally tremendous.

In simpler terms, the Nigerian pop sounds are jostling for more attention in the international communities and the receptions have been pleasant.

Nigerian music star Peter Okoye endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Nigerian music star Peter Okoye endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

READ ALSO: Visual artist Laolu Senbanjo on art, women, sexism and relocating to NYC

In the light of these feats, NAIJ.com caught up with one of the pioneers of ‘new school’ hip hop music in Nigeria and we are talking about none other than Michael Ugochukwu ‘Rugged Man’ Stephens.

The rapper spoke to us on a whole range of subjects from being an artiste and transitioning to a label executive to entrepreneurial activities, fighting for the right causes with his music, longevity and more.

On his many adversaries in music and how he managed to go against some of the biggest figures in Nigerian entertainment, he spoke to us saying he is a “happy, funny-go-lucky, down to earth guy who recorded certain songs to address certain persons because he felt society was celebrating music that was not representing Nigerian artists’ creativity and originality enough.”

He spoke further:

So what’s been happening Rugged Man? How’s the music, clothing line and other activities?

Bro, I am good bro. I have been working on videos for my track 8 Figures TSW remix featuring Ice Prince, the video for my song Seyi Shay ft Olamide and other things. Both audios are out and doing quite well. I also have new songs with Solidstar, Oritse Femi and a few other tracks I do not want to mention just.

I have also been creating new designs for my next set of shirts for my Twentieth September Wears clothing line.

Nigerian music star MI Abaga endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Nigerian music star MI Abaga endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

How do you manage to juggle these activities?

On how I juggle all these activities I have always been a workaholic. So I am used to it.

Good. How’ve you managed to stay relevant for this long in the industry?

I have remained my creative, real, down to earth adaptive self. I know how to adapt to every change that has happened to the music industry. Social media plays a good part in entertainment and i am very active there. Recording with some of the artists that are hot right now is also part of it. They obviously wouldn’t collaborate with me if they didn’t appreciate what I have done for the industry and the fact that I am a cool guy.

And what are the tricks with which you’ve sold hip hop in a market more disposed to Afro pop and other genres?

I helped sell hip hop to a market more disposed to Afro pop and other genres, by fusing our mother tongue into my songs and preaching it in my music. Like the track Ruggedy Baba which I featured 9ice. I ended a verse with ‘the only thing wey go let them know where your music come from in the long run, is the fusion of grammar, your slang and your mother tongue’. That way almost everybody can understand what you are saying and you can pass any message to the people.

READ ALSO: 5 reasons Tiwa Savage will bounce back in no time, controversies regardless

Speaking of cool what’s the average day in the life of Rugged Man? Run us through 24 hours of your day.

It is never set. Today alone I have gone from checking the first cut of my video featuring Ice Prince at Chevron, to two other meetings in the space of four hours. Sometimes when I do not have a gig, it’s easy and I am either at home or at the movies. But basically I am always networking over the phone.

Rapper Rugged Man rocks something from clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Rapper Rugged Man rocks something from clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

This is a pretty tight schedule. If you do this on a daily how does your significant other handle this? What are her reactions and how do you manage things in this light?

Smiles. I leave the private life out of interviews now o.

Interesting. Tell us about Rugged Records and the artiste(s) under the label

Rugged Records was established following the huge demand for Rugged Man’s music and I realised there was no label then to sign with. I decided to go with it myself. It wasn’t easy but the fact that my very controversial track Ehen Part 1 was blowing up and giving me serious attention, helped to bolster my resolve to forge ahead. You can say I was the guinea pig at the label. And after Rugged Man, I have worked with just one artist, Mbryo, and he is still a work in progress. We all know there is no shortcut to success. It takes God, hard work and patience to be successful.

What’s the transition from artiste to label boss been like?

It’s been easy for me because I am both an artist and a CEO.

Good one. What would you say attracted Mbryo to you and how’s his music journey been thus far?

I heard him on someone’s song and knew he had talent, then decided to sign him. So far I have been able to get him to do songs with Patoranking, Terry G and a few others. He just needs to put in more work. It takes time and the label has been doing its part. As long as he does what is expected of him, he will get up there like the best of them.

Nigerian music star 2baba endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Nigerian music star 2baba endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Awesome. Other than music are you looking to branch out into other endeavours soon given your experience and having conquered that terrain?

I am already into fashion. My Twentieth September Wears clothing line is doing good and I am working on making it better, bigger and a house hold name.

Okay cool. What’s your take on the industry as it is?

The music industry has and is still growing. Apart from companies coming in and working with and endorsing artists, the audio and video quality of Nigerian artists’ materials have improved tremendously.

The increase in number of international collaborations is also another sign of great improvement.

READ ALSO: Celebrating Genevieve Nnaji in these sexy photos as she turns 37

Does it impress you that the likes of Rugged Man, eLDee and Mode 9 are some of the trailblazers of what has become a multi-million dollar venture?

I won’t say impressed, I will say I am glad and honoured to be one of the trailblazers of the new generation Nigerian music industry.

How do you feel in your heart of hearts?

In my heart of hearts I feel privileged to have put my name in the history books of the Nigerian Music Industry.

It’s a good feeling. Speaking of new generation did you set out to be known as a controversial artiste from the very beginning or things just happened like that?

I never set out to become controversial. The series of events from my very vocal and blunt Ehen track, to my confrontational Big Bros track made people tag me controversial.

What’s the similarity between your music and your actual person?

Michael is a very happy, funny-go-lucky, down to earth, vocal, no-nonsense person. Rugged Man is the same in person, except that Rugged Man does music and let’s all these traits show in his music.

Model Sonia Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Model Sonia Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

If you never set out to be controversial why did you put out the songs Ehen, Big Bros and Peace Or War?

Ehen was recorded because I felt we were celebrating music that was not representing Nigerian artists creativity and originality.

Peace or war was recorded because after Ehen dropped, a few people said they hated me (obviously) while some liked me. That’s why I ended each verse with ‘I done speak my mind and I go still speak more, you either love me or hate me in peace or war’.

Big Bros was recorded because I heard about some a big man who wanted my music yanked off the airwaves.

Good to see you emerged victorious after everything. Did you even consider the forces you were going against and what your chances were?

Yes I considered all that, but the guilt I would have felt forever if I didn’t do anything to fight for the positive growth of Nigerian outweighed the consequences.

Who were the guys behind you?

God was behind me, He still is.

Nigerian actor Ik Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Nigerian actor Ik Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

What gave you morale to go against the heavyweights in the industry at the time?

The real love I have for music was all the morale booster I needed.

READ ALSO: Former beauty queen puts full sexiness on display in these photos

You stayed true to the game, your actions show this.

Thank God

But many would argue that you didn’t keep it real more often than not as far as real hip hop is concerned. How would you respond to this?

People who say that are the exact people who know nothing about hip hop.

Hip hop is not a style of rap. Hip hop is a culture and every culture has different people and tribes, meaning there are different styles of rap, R&B, Beat boxing, graffiti and even break-dancing. Meaning the style of rap you choose to do does not make you any less real. Hip hop is hip hop, there’s no real or fake hip hop, just good or bad artists. At a time a few rappers in Nigeria were trying to make it out like if you do not do hardcore rap, you weren’t a rapper. They were so wrong and obviously got left behind when music (including rap) evolved.  The most constant thing in life is change and rap is not left out. Rappers who could not adapt with the change are the ones bitter.

Model Sonia Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Model Sonia Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Valid points

Of course, no be today I start.

They say celebrity life is tough and celebs live a fake life. What are your thoughts on this?

I cannot speak for other celebrities, but I speak for myself. It is indeed tough because you lose your choice to privacy. People expect too much from you ‘all the time’ not considering how you feel. Once in public, you have eyes on you and it can be frustrating and uncomfortable at times. Most times you have people wanting more help from you than you have to give.

About being fake? I do not live beyond my means and I am as real as they come.

Interesting. Given this, what would you say are the major challenges in celebrity marriages today?

I can’t speak on what I have not experienced. So you will have to wait until after I am married to ask me this.

And when are the fans expecting to see Rugged Man walk down the aisle?

My fans will see me walk down the aisle when they see me o.

Still on celeb marriages, would you go into a relationship with a lady in the entertainment industry? Even if it were real love…

When it is real love, nothing can stop it. So whether she is into entertainment or not, the best thing is to pray for her to be your right partner.

Interesting. You speak of praying, are you a religious person?

I am a Christian

Nigerian actor Ik Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man's clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

Nigerian actor Ik Ogbonna endorses Rugged Man’s clothing line Twentieth September Wears.

And how do you unwind?

READ ALSO: 15 points from Tiwa Savage’s interview on her marriage issues with Tee Billz

I unwind by watching movies, playing games or reading

What are the ideal features you look out for in a woman?

No comments. Lol.

Lastly, what do you make of this current administration under President Muhammadu Buhari? How would you rate the current change in this administration?

Things have gotten a bit tougher in the country and it’s not making his promise of ‘change’ look good. I pray this is the storm before the calm, because the condition of things in the country as we speak is not exactly a great one.

The post Music veteran talks women, celebrity marriages, politics and other ventures appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM (Nigerian newspapers).


Music veteran talks women, celebrity marriages, politics and other ventures Reviewed by Olusola Bodunde on 13:15 Rating: 5

No comments:

Thanks for reading, please share this post and leave a comment. Your comment is important to us

All Rights Reserved by Naija News Live © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.