Nigeria At 55: What Singer Wants The Govt To Do To Women, Young Girls
As Nigeria celebrates her 55th Independence anniversary, Naij.com met up with singer Waje for a brief chat and she explained what she thinks of the current political situation as well as her desire for a better Nigeria where there is more emphasis on empowering women and young girls.
Singer Waje Iruobe
What do you make of Nigeria at the moment in terms of political and socioeconomic growth and development?
Waje: “Personally, I think Nigeria is growing and progressing. [And] judging by the success of the last election [I see] that Nigerians are now conscious of who they want as their leader, they showed more interest in the election, we were united and all we could think of was how we could move forward as a country. I believe the new government will provide the immense help our country needs in terms of development. Rome they say, was not built in a day, we just need to be patient and keep working hard. There’s still a lot of work to be done about the economy. Especially the issue of unemployment, to be honest, I think the government is not doing enough regarding this. We youths need to be empowered after all, we are the leaders of tomorrow.”
Waje and daughter.
What are your suggestions for the authorities in terms of how to better the polity?
Waje: “First and foremost, the authorities should not breach the trust we have in them, by staying true to their word and doing what they are meant to do. I’ll suggest that the authorities do more work in the petroleum sector and the power sector. More effort should also be put into empowering Women and Young Girls.”
READ ALSO: Nigeria At 55 – The Journey So Far
Where do you see Nigeria in a few years from now?
Waje: “Hmmmm. In a few years, I see Nigeria as a great Nation where everything will be so amazing, beautiful and peaceful. A Nigeria where there will be power all day, jobs, and unity.”
If you were to be in charge of a state or the nation, what are the top five sectors you will prioritize/ the top five projects you will execute?
Waje: “Education, Power, Infrastructural Development, Entertainment and Women Empowerment.”
READ ALSO: Nigeria At 55 – Why I Love Nigeria
Wish Nigeria a happy Independence in your words.
Waje: “Happy 55th birthday my darling Fatherland, I love you and I am proud to be called a Nigerian. Happy Independence Day, Nigeria.”
Aituaje Vivian Iruobe, more popularly known as Waje, is a Nigerian singer and a single mother. She has a number of hit records as well as collaborations with A-lists as PSquare, MI Abaga and Banky W.
Earlier this year, she headlined the song Strong Girl by One Campaign – a nonprofit organization aimed at fighting poverty in Africa.
The post Nigeria At 55: What Singer Wants The Govt To Do To Women, Young Girls appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.
No comments:
Thanks for reading, please share this post and leave a comment. Your comment is important to us